If we look after our furnishings they will last longer and maintain their appearance for many years. We can look after carpet and keep it looking new with a few precautions and preparations.
- Have the carpets professionally cleaned every six months. This should be steam cleaning, which removes deep dirt and grit from the fibre. By removing such material the carpet suffers less abrasion, so it lasts longer.
- Have the carpet scotchguarded, or given a similar treatment, when it is still new. These treatments prevent spill and stains from soaking into the carpet fabric, and also resist soiling from dirt and grime.
It is best to have the carpets treated when they are still new. Then reapply the protective treatment after each twice-a-year cleaning.
- Use coasters under all furniture to prevent indentations in the carpet.
- Simply ask people to remove shoes in the house, so there is far less dirt tracked form inside, and far less wear.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet before vacuuming. You only need to leave it on for a few minutes, maybe half an hour. This significantly reduces odour.
- Deal with any spills immediately.
- Air filters in the carpeted room and exhaust fans in the kitchen will keep the air much cleaner, so there is less grime, oil and grease settling on the carpet.
It makes sense to maintain the home we have invested time and money in. Hire professional cleaners to keep your carpets in the best condition possible. Spent your free time enjoying your home rather than cleaning it.